Thursday, October 06, 2005

Fun Fish Facts

Ok, so I last blogged that our beloved friend Plop was found early in the morning by me ....er.... "resting" on the bottom of the tank. After some time, he came to and resumed his normal fishly routine of swimming in circles, picking up and dropping rocks, and blowing bubbles at the top of the tank (I'm telling you, this fish is a card!). So, as predicted, Rob was horrified when I recounted my experience and he did some investigating online. Apparently fish "rest" periodically. They "snooze" so to speak, although they don't have eyelids, so they look freaky. They're called "diurnal" and they go into a "trance-like" mode at night. So, my feisty little aquatic acquaintance wasn't dying, simply in a trance! And when I mentioned he blinked, his eyes must've been dilating or something (because as I know now, being a fish expert and all, fish don't have eyelids!). Anyways, I know most of you out there were on the edges of your seats waiting to hear the fate of Plop and I couldn't leave you hanging like that. The news is in... yes, fish sleep.

2 comments:

Ernesto Burden said...

Great research! I love the fact that fish don't have eyelids. And I for one am relieved that Plop is feeling okay... I wasn't exactly on the edge of my seat, but I was curious...

Kristen said...

I meant to comment on your earlier fish post to let you know ours does the exact same thing...And has since we got him(her?) Anyway, he will continue to look sluggish even after I feed him, but he usually comes to within the hour. I only wish I could share my coffee with him...